Curriculum 2015-16
It has been a long time since I have posted about homeschooling. And I have to admit, this post is really just for me to keep organized in preparation for the upcoming "school year". Often I have found myself wishing I had a list of the curriculum used the year before to fall back on or another homeschooling mama has asked me what we use and I've thought, "hmmm, I need to make that list!" So, here it is...
P.S. I wouldn't dare take all the credit! I ask a lot of questions about what curriculum other families use. I also search the web and follow homeschooling blogs that inspire me and help get the creative juices flowing. A great big thank you to Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler and Eclectic Homeschooling mama for your blogs and extremely helpful, in depth posts. You've made my life easier! Thank you to my homeschooling friends who are always there for support and advice (you know who you are).
P.P.S. I appreciate this post, Why Eclectic Homeschooling? from eclectic mama over at Eclectic Homeschooling: Raising Global Kids very much! Homeschooling is on the rise! There are books galore on how to homeschool and gobs of curriculum out there. If you live in the ATL, there are so many things to do. It is true, it is easy to become overwhelmed! If you are new to homeschooling or considering it, try not to sweat over the small stuff, surround yourself with love and support, and most importantly, HAVE FUN.
GRADE 3:
- Daily Notebook & Calendar
- Devotional: Whatever we find is inspiring at the moment.
- Music: Piano, Choir, songwriting with Daddy and begin Classic Composer's Unit.
- Art: World's Greatest Artists, Art Appreciation, Draw Your World, Doodle Academy, Art For Kids, Art Projects for Kids, local museums, sewing, musicals and more.
- Spelling: Complete Raceway book (transitioning into Grand Tour II)
- Phonics: Sing, Spell, Read & Write
- Reading: The Magic Treehouse Series, regular visits to the Public Library and family reading time (Read Alouds):
- The Little Princess
- Little House in the Big Woods
- Little House on the Prairie
- The Wizard of Oz (the First Five Novels)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, etc.
- Charlotte's Web
- Literature: Classical Literature Units (Chosen as a family.)
- LA: First Language Lessons, Journaling
- Math: Saxon Math, Khan Academy, Teaching Textbooks, LEGO's, Fun Supplements, Games and Apps
- Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears: Printing Power (Transitioning into Kick Start Cursive)
- History & Geography: The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child (Vol. 2), Fifty Nifty States and Maps, Charts and U.S. Atlas
- Science: Explore & Learn Series, The Magic School Bus books (I'm also checking out The Magic School Bus Unit), episodes and Bill Nye, the Science Guy episodes and Science Units
- Wellness: Dog walking, yoga, meditation, hiking, biking, exploring & many, many adventures
- Foreign Language: Prima Latina
- Computer Skills: Scratch Programming and typing games.
- Logic: The Amazing 50 States Maze, more mazes, Chess, Chess Academy, Logic Games and other Apps
- Community: Begin World Poverty Unit Study and become more active in the community (more to come)
GRADE 6:
- Daily Notebook, Calendar & Journaling
- Devotional
- Art: World's Greatest Artists , Art Appreciation, Art Projects for Kids, Art For Kids Hub, (I'm looking into a photography class at The Foto Finch), regular visits to local museums, sewing, musicals, creating and more...
- Music: Piano, Choir, World's Greatest Composer's Unit and Modern Music Study
- Spelling: Reading Detective (B1) and considering MegaWords (1)
- Reading: The Unwanted's Series, regular visits to the Public Library and family reading time (Read Alouds):
- The Little Princess
- The Wizard of Oz (the First Five Novels)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, etc.
- Possibly the Hunger Games Series (I am really looking forward to this!)
- Eclectic Homeschooler mom shares an in-depth middle school aged list here.
- Literature: Classical Literature Units (Chosen as a family.)
- L.A.: First Language Lessons (Possibly Progressing With Courage)
- Writing: I'm considering Classical Writing: Aesop for this year.
- Math: Saxon Math, Khan Academy, Teaching Textbooks, Numberphile, Vi Hart Videos, Games & Apps
- Handwriting: Cursive Success
- History & Geography: The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child (Vol. 2), Geography - Fifty Nifty States, Geoguesser, Google Earth Maps, Charts and U.S. & World Atlas
- Science: Explore & Learn Series, Happify Games, Junkbox Wars, Project-Based Engineering for Kids and Bill Nye, the Science Guy episodes (Possibly Abeka Science & Health), Camp Google and Science Units
- Wellness: Dog walking, yoga, meditation, biking, skateboarding, hiking & exploring
- Foreign Language: Prima Latina
- Computer Skills: Keyboarding Success, Scratch Programming and typing games.
- Logic: The Amazing 50 States Maze, more mazes, Chess, Chess Academy, Logic Games and other Apps
- Community: Begin World Poverty Unit Study and serve the community.
No comments:
Post a Comment