Thursday, February 12, 2015

Embracing Fear

"Teach if you want to crack your heart open more, deepen your teaching, and do something truly meaningful with your skills." - Unknown, Grounded Yoga




On my Birthday Bucket List I listed "Become more involved in Grounded Yoga".  About two years ago co-grounders of Grounded Yoga, Amy Haysman and Cheryl Crawford asked if I would be interested in helping train others to become "grounded".  Although I was honored, I have to be honest, the idea scared me to death.  Train others?  I thought of many reasons why I shouldn't commit.  "I already own a business of my own."  "I live too far away."  "We may be moving."  "How well do I know my "stuff"?"  The list goes on and on.  But, truth be told, I was holding myself back from a life changing opportunity.  Ghandi says, be the change that you wish to see in the world. I've known for some time now that change is near.  Big change.  I feel it in my bones.

In September, when I injured my knee I was given an opportunity to do a lot of soul searching. I asked myself, where are you holding back?  I realized that I was playing small and for a very long time and was hungry for more.  But, I was playing small by holding myself back.  One of my favorite quotes from Marianne Williamson's A Return To Love is:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” 

In practicing stillness, we gain clarity and nourish our heart and soul.  Stillness reminds us of the importance of compassion and self love.  As I continue to learn more about myself, I'm realizing more and more that its okay to not know what the future holds, to remain open, listening and receiving.  The key is, authenticity.  Just be me.  Offer what I know and flourish from there.




Two weeks ago I attended another Module I - "Get Grounded" training at Vista Yoga to observe co-founder Cheryl Crawford teach.  As always, I enjoyed taking in the beautiful people and what Grounded has to offer to the community.  On the first day, I felt confirmation that I stepped back on my path.  Cheryl and Amy are two of the most humble and genuine individuals I know.  They are mothers, inspiring women and have opened up their hearts to a community that wants to make a difference in this world.  



I look forward to the last weekend of this month, for Module 7 - "Expand" Your Teaching, created for Special Populations where I will meet new friends, learn more about individuals with special needs and the best practices for those who have been traumatized.  Here's to shining bright and facing our fears!


No comments: